2001 College Place
Harlan, Iowa 51537
Parish News and Information
DUE TO COVID-19 exposure: Parish office will be closed until Wedesday, 11/18/20.
The Confirmation Retreat schedulded for this weekend, November 14 has been postponed until February or March of 2021.
Weekend Masses: The Saturday, November 14, 5:00 pm Mass & Sunday, November 15, 9:30 am Mass at St. Michael's are cancelled.
Week day Masses: Tuesday & Wednesday 8:15 am Masses will be held. Thursday, November 19, 12:00 noon & Friday, November 20, 8:15 am Masses are cancelled.
Mass Schedule When There Is A Funeral: During the pandemic, there will be a daily Mass when there is a funeral. This way our daily Mass parishioners can still attend daily Mass without having to attend the funeral since our maximum capacity is 125.
Father Dan's other Parish's Mass Times:
St. Peter's, Defiance - Tuesday & Thursday 8:30 am - Saturday 4 pm
St. Joseph's, Earling - Wednesday & Friday 8:00 am - Sunday 9:30 am
Should I be going to Mass??
Shelby County is experiencing another up-tick in Covid-19 positive cases. Coming to Mass does pose a significant health risk. At this time you must weigh the risk to your own hearth and that of those around you. Please give thoughtful consideration before making your decision to attend Mass or not.
Before deciding also keep in mind Bishop Joensen has suspended the Sunday obligation to attend Mass for EVERYONE. Please know that God’s infinite grace and mercy remain abundantly available weather or not you attend Mass. Bishop Joensen has also granted a plenary indulgence (forgiveness of all sins).
We reached our goal of $52,675! Pledges will still need to be paid over the next few months, but full payment of our assessment is reached. Thank you for your generosity in making this happen!
PRAYER REQUESTS for PRAYER CHAIN:
HOLIDAYS ARE COMING - CONSIDER SUPPORTING THESE GREAT CAUSES AT ST MICHAEL'S:
1) BOX OF JOY - This year our Family Formation Families and our Confirmation Class are filling BOXES OF JOY! We have a limited number of boxes left over & available in back of church, you can also use your own shoe box or shoe box size tote. There are also envelopes for monetary donations if you would like to help cover shipping costs ($9/box) to give children around the world a gift this Christmas. Thank you in advance for your support!!! BOXES/DONATIONS must be returned to Church or Parish Office by November 15, 2020
2) GIVING TREE—GIFT CARDS for West Central. This year the Confirmation Class is doing a group service project to help our community. The Confirmandi will be setting up a tree and have envelopes available to give Gift Cards. We would like to focus on places that Tweens/Teens would like to shop and local grocery stores. Ideas would include Target, Walmart, Game Stop, Old Navy, Kohl’s, Five Below, HyVee & Fareway. Thank you for your kindness!!! Cards can be put in enevelopes at back of Church and placed in Offering Basket.
3) Support St. Michael’s Faith Formation. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, Amazon donates! Search for St. Michael’s Catholic Church! Go directly to: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/42-0745996 shop and donate! We appreciate you!!!
ADDITIONAL WAY TO HELP THIS HOLIDAY SEASON:
CLOTHING DRIVE This year our clothing drive looks a little different. We still want you to clean your closets and help those in need however, we will need you to directly drop your donations off at:
Sienna Francis House 402-677-3085
1702 Nicholas St, Omaha
Adult sizes only
Co. Bluffs Family Outreach 402-422-1111
1612 Ave D, Council Bluffs
T-Th 9:30-6 F-Sat 8:30-5
Children & Adult sizes welcome
Timberlake Outreach Center 402-422-1111
2107 E Locust St, Omaha
T-Th 9:30-6 F-Sat 8:30-5
Children & Adult sizes welcome
Rummage & Bake Sale:
A rummage and bake sale will be held on Friday, November 13, from 9:00am-5:00pm and Saturday, November 14, from 8:00am-12:00 noon at 1818 Chatburn Plaza in Harlan. Donations of saleable items in good condition are needed: Holiday décor, gift items, toys, baby items, sports equipment, household items, and furniture. Bake sale items are also needed: cookies, bars, bread, pies, etc. Donations can be brought to the sale location on Wednesday, November 11, from 11:00am-1:00pm or Thursday, November 12, from 4:00-6:00pm. All proceeds go to support LC Clinic and its new Atlantic Clinic opening soon. Any questions or to volunteer, call Lori Hlavac at 712-579-9531 or Dottie Krogh 712-249-9084.
LC (Life Care) Clinic is a Christ-centered pregnancy medical clinic providing medical services, peer counseling, and material assistance at NO CHARGE. Clinics in Stuart, Creston, and (coming soon) Atlantic. For more information, go to www.iowalcclinic.org and www.helplifecareclinic.org
Sunday Mass at St. Michael's
You can access the Knights of Columbus YouTube channel to view Mass at St. Michael's here - https://tinyurl.com/y4ax6z3g
You can also go to YouTube channel and search Knights Of Columbus Harlan Iowa and Masses should pop up listed by date.
We also try to put a link on Facebook page St. Michael's Catholic Church - Harlan, IA (please like and share)
You are invited to our upcoming events, please invite anyone you know to attend: https://www.theemmaushouse.org/upcoming-events
We are also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Emmaus-House-109615844056603/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel&eid=ARBSI_xk6e8-SFc4hgCW3_yhoUMbHEskN_GcdPlkDYHSDigif_lZ-6v7zaHUCViy9adcf9vvosdLd-YH and Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/emmaushousedesmoines/ Like us on those pages for weekly content.
Emmaus House link to their home page: https://www.theemmaushouse.org/
Sunday - 9:30 am
Weekdays - varies, click on bulletin below
Holy Days - click on bulletin below
Saturday 4:00 pm or by appointment
First Friday Adoration
9:00 am - 12:00 noon
Benediction 12:00 noon
Daily mass is celebrated every day from Bishop Barron's chapel, join in at Word On Fire
Readings for the week of November 22, 2020
- Sunday: Ez 34:11-12, 15-17 / Ps 23:1-2, 2-3, 5-6  / 1 Cor 15:20-26, 28 / Mt 25:31-46
- Monday: Rv 14:1-3, 4b-5 / Ps 24:1bc-2, 3-4ab, 5-6 [cf. 6] / Lk 21:1-4
- Tuesday: Rv 14:14-19 / Ps 96:10, 11-12, 13 [13b] / Lk 21:5-11
- Wednesday: Rv 15:1-4 / Ps 98:1, 2-3ab, 7-8, 9 [Rev 15:3b] / Lk 21:12-19
- Thursday: Rv 18:1-2, 21-23; 19:1-3, 9a / Ps 100:1b-2, 3, 4, 5 [Rev 19:9a] / Lk 21:20-28
- Friday: Rv 20:1-4, 11—21:2 / Ps 84:3, 4, 5-6a and 8a [Rev 21:3b] / Lk 21:29-33
- Saturday: Rv 22:1-7 / Ps 95:1-2, 3-5, 6-7ab [1 Cor 16:22b] / Lk 21:34-36
- Next Sunday: Is 63:16b-17, 19b; 64:2-7 / Ps 80:2-3, 15-16, 18-19  / 1 Cor 1:3-9 / Mk 13:33-37
Plenary Indulgence Has Been Granted
A Plenary Indulgence is the Church's way of granting forgiveness of sins when normal means are unavailable.
For those individuals that contract COVID-19 Bishop Joensen has granted a plenary indulgence (forgiveness of all sins). The conditions for receiving plenary indulgence are a spirit of repentance for the sins committed in a person's life by utilizing a prayer like this, "Lord, forgive me of my sins." or "Lord, have mercy on me a sinner." After recovering from COVID-19 the person need to have the intention to go to confession, receive Holy Communion, and pray for the needs of the world as soon as possible.
A plenary indulgence is also granted to a person at the moment of death when they are unable to be anointed with the Sacrament of the Sick. The only conditions shall be the person be properly disposed, that is, express an attitude of faith or sorrow for sin and that a cross or a rosary should be present in the room.
Prayers During This Time of Emergency
While we are restricted from attending Mass, we are not restricted from praying! We encourage spending time together as a family with the Lord. Gather your family nightly before bed or around the breakfast table each morning and offer your thanks for the preventive measures that are being taken. Here are a few prayers you may want to include.
Prayer to the Archangel Michael
St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell, Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.
Prayer of Spiritual Communion
My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.
Prayer for the Sick
God our Father we come to You in our need to ask Your protection against the Corona virus that has claimed lives and has affected many. We pray for Your grace for the people tasked with studying the nature and cause of this virus and its disease and of stemming the tide of its transmission. Guide the hands and minds of medical experts that they may minister to the sick with competence and compassion and of those governments and private agencies that must find a cure and solution to this pandemic. We pray for those afflicted. May they be restored to health soon. Grant us the grace to work for the good of all and to help those in need. Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son who lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God forever and ever. Amen.
1912 18th Street
Harlan, Iowa 51537